Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thanksgiving is More Than Just a Holiday.

Hm... It's been a little while since I've posted. Not that anyone really reads this, but still. Ha.

I've had several things that I've been dying to update about, but at this present moment in time?
I can't remember a single one of them.

So in substitution of these ideas I have decided to share a revelation I had yesterday while driving to work.
At first it was perceived as pure misfortune on my end, but today I thought back on it in a different, brighter light.

Okay, to set the stage:
(dramatic lighting, please!)

So I'm driving to work, and I'm almost running late. My heart is beating and mind is racing with the hopes of finding a close parking spot and making it in on time, because I feel that my reputation is at stake. (Which it probably was not, but I have this desire to remain in good standing with my employers.) Anyway, so I'm driving, and I arrive at the stoplight right before the parking lot, which often decides whether I will be late or not because sometimes it decides that it likes red a lot better than it likes green... and it is.... green! Yes!
Now, I hope with all of my heart that there will be a space open for me on the street against the school so I could have a quick one minute walk from my car into the office and be right on time, verses having to park across the street and be about 3 minutes late.
Suddenly, my heart leaps. There is a space open in my desired parking area! It is the absolute last one in the row, still being somewhat far from the office, but it was much better than parking in the lot.
But wait! Low and behold, I spot another open space that is much closer to my building, so I ditch the first one and continue on driving with my heart leaping with joy.
But then...

A Motorcycle.

As I am happily turning into my close-to-the-office parking space, I see the little joy that deceptively occupies it. Making it no longer free.

Oh how I despise these motorized creations.

So now, seeing that I cannot reverse and go back into the original space because of traffic behind me, I am now forced to park in the dreaded parking lot, filled with far-ness and lateness because of students with a lack of parking skills who like to put their cars in such a way that makes it quite difficult for other students to park their vehicles next to them. (But I will not get into this because apparently I'm not such a skilled parker myself.)
I look at the clock: 7:58am, and I need to open the center up at 8am.
I currently have two more minutes to park, cross the traffic ridden street, go down the stairs and down the hall to the office.
Did I make it?
Barely.
Once I parked I made a mad dash through the obstacles described above and into the office at 8:01am.
Not too bad, I suppose.
Anyhow:

I bet you are wondering where my little revelation fits in?
Well, I'll tell you.

When you apply this whole parking situation to life, it actually brings about a very interesting point.

Sometimes God gives us opportunities or gifts to either take or reject, and sometimes these opportunities are good, but aren't exactly what we want them to be. Maybe they don't exactly reach our goals in the ways that we'd like them to, or are somewhat far from them, or maybe they just aren't our ideal desires.
& Because of this, we may be unsatisfied and go in search of something better than what was given to us.
If we find it, we ditch the first opportunity and go for the second one, fantasizing about how much better it will be and happier it will make us. Yet, we soon discover that we were blind to the things that were hidden from us, and realize that this opportunity wasn't as great as we expected... Or even good at all.

And now?

We are left with nothing.

Nothing but tantalizing regret and the simple wish that we were thankful for what we had in the first place.

It is important to be thankful.
For the things that we have, and the people that we have.
& I'm saying this more to myself than to anyone else, because I know I have a lot of thanking to do.
God has blessed me in many, many ways.
More ways than I even deserved.
And for this, I am ever so thankful.



Wow, I just realised that this idea and post is in perfect timing for the Thanksgiving Holiday! Just goes to show that God is always right on time!
:)

So be thankful people!

Sincerely, Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment